Monday, May 14, 2007

My beans

Friends recently came back from a summer trip to Bali; they had asked if there was anything I wanted, and the only thing that came to mind was vanilla beans. While Tahiti, Madagascar, and Mexico are famous for their vanilla beans, I remembered seeing plantations of them in Bali. And I had a hankering to make my own vanilla extract.

I'm not one to sew my own dresses, cobble a shoe (although given my predilection i probably should), or build a table. I can make a simple fruit bread, and follow most recipes, although I am also fond of just winging it (au pif), but the idea of making my own extract didn't crop up till I saw a link online about homemade extract. Vanilla beans, vodka, and time. That's it! With the bonus of 4 beans from Bali, I went out to hunt down a bottle of vodka, and now, on my dining room table there's a bottle of vodka on it's 3rd week of distilling them beans.

Some recipes say 6 weeks, others say wait for 3 months. I'll probably wait till the end of the 3rd month and take a sip of the brew, before going on a vanilla crazed existence.

8 comments:

Socky said...

I wouldn't know what to do with vanilla extract. Well, I know but won't. I wonder if that vanilla infused vodka will be drinkable, you know, as a cocktail drink? Then probably drop a coffee bean or two, hmmmm...

Watergirl said...

yes, it's drinkable. And it can also be used to make a vanilla cordial with some additional cooking involved.

ChichaJo said...

Mila! I have so much vodka (leftover from my wedding) that I have been thinking of doing this...let me know how it turns out :)

Also, we can have a vodka cocktails night :)

Katrina said...

Vanilla flavored vodka is one of my favorites! It makes so many yummy cocktails. Mix with Bailey's, creme de cacao, Frangelico...even with Coke!

Watergirl said...

There are some interesting recipes to consider on vanilla.com (which also includes the recipe for making vanilla extract).

As I told Joey last night, I'm sharing the bounty by Xmas. The homemade extract should be strong enough by then for any baked goods.

christine said...

Yum, call me for the vanilla vodka party! Have you tried inserting a vanilla pod in your sugar canister?

Watergirl said...

Nena, yes, boy one bean and your sugar is transformed. Don't discard used beans either, just pop them into your sugar canister. They'll infuse the sugar. Gene Gonzalez does the same with his salt.

ANNE CASTRO said...

i have 500 grams of vanilla beans, if any of your girls need, just holler!

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies