Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Two boats in the night

I had my first America Cup viewing tonight. And, well, I think I prefer to watch bread bake. The boats themselves are beautiful, and they look wonderful being expertly sailed around the waters of Seville, the site of this year's competition. From our expert dinner companions, we learned that the Alinghi team from Switzerland is the defending champion, and that they have been waiting four years to defend their championship. They face team New Zealand, who won the Louis Vuitton cup, the final cut for numerous challengers. S explained that Alinghi doesn't get to use the same kind of boat in competition until the America's Cup, while New Zealand has the advantage of having the LV cup to get their bearings (pardon the pun).

However, watching boats race around at an average of 12 knots an hour is boring. I like the feeling of sailing a boat, although I am not a competent sailor; but watching it happen on a big projector screen isn't much fun. I would prefer watching Formula 1 whizz by in never ending circles. Cars go fast. Boats not so much. By the time they finally get the 3rd leg of this part of the race going, I'm ready to head home. Oh look, it's raining!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Hahaha!!! My thoughts exactly. I attempted to watch, but I couldn't look at the screen for more than 5 seconds without getting bored.

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies