Saturday, January 26, 2008

Puddin' night

I had healthy plans for tonight's dinner, but I was sideswiped by carbs. And cheese. And I let it take me by the hand, what a lack of self-control, I admit.

So. Instead of the vegetable and grilled sausages that I had mentally planned to have at 6:00 pm, I found myself dawdling in front of my kitchen sink at 7 and wondering what would happen if I just made some rice and added cheese to it. I have a lot of cheese in my fridge, very good cheese at that. Pecorino from Sardinia, my favorite humboldt fog goat cheese, aged cheddar, and some parmegiano-reggiano from last december. So I grated some of it while the rice bubbled away in my rice cooker. When my rice was just beyond al dente, I plopped the grated cheddar in it for that first intense flavor rush, then when I saw the cheese melt into the white rice, I took a large spoonful of the pudding, and served it in my bowl, sprinkled the grated pecorino for a sharper flavor, then a dollop of goat cheese on top for the 3rd cheese and tang.

The final rich hit was a dribble of truffle oil.

On my tongue - creaminess, the nuttiness of the cheddar, the savoriness of the pecorino, and the ash and acid of the goat, with flower notes from the oil. This is what Saturday nights are meant for.

7 comments:

Shalimar said...

This is what Saturday nights are meant for.
hmm for me some cheddar cheese, feta... and some spread I got fr italy made of salami and chilli...
some beer and belgian truffles
wearing my fave socks and pashmina to keep warm

cakewardrobe said...

I love the kind of meals that you can whip up on a lazy weekend without having to go out to the store for just ONE thing and taste simple delish at the same time. Ahh the little things in life....

Katrina said...

Ooohhh...you've just made me drool!!! I heart cheese. And truffle oil! What a comforting, yet decadent, dish. Definitely a fine way to spend a Saturday night.

Chibog in Chief said...

this doesnt sound my normal saturday night..its soo deliciously gourmet for a saturday night!!truffle oil and cheese sounds like more of a big celebration to me :-) my saturday night is too plain for you then..home-made pizzas, vegetable sushis, pop-corn and ice-cream for dessert and good zombie movie to finish the night :-)

Watergirl said...

hi sha, cheese is my comfort food. I forgot to post that I had a bar of scharfenberger chocolate with sea salt encrusted almonds. Hay what a way to spend a lazy weekend.

Cakewardrobe, thanks for dropping by. Rice and cheese are always in my pantry so I don't know why it took me so long to make this dish.

Katrina, it was decadently comfortable. I knew I'd pull you in with the truffle oil hehehehe

Dhanggit, believe me, this was one of those let's raid the ref and see whats in it. Otherwise, I'd have just called for pizza. Or chinese noodles from North Park!

Anonymous said...

wonderful saturday night... truffle oil... hmm....

ChichaJo said...

What a Saturday night! Sounds amazingly decadent, but at the same time comforting and "cuddle into my comfiest chair" food :)

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies