Monday, February 26, 2007

Wandering

I needed to open some canned goods last week but found my can opener to be in horrible shape so I chose to find a new one. Yesterday I was in Greenbelt and went to several possible stores thinking they'd have a simple can opener: Rustan's, Ace hardware, even Abensons. Nada. The nearest place I could have gone (but chose not to because I was annoyed by my failed quest) was Landmark.

Why can't we have a nice, not necessarily fancy, kitchen ware store in Greenbelt? Gourdo's and the other cooking store is in Glorietta 4. But Greenbelt is becoming a residential draw (Residences is opening up, not to mention all those new condos in Legaspi village). They need more than a row of high end boutiques and restaurants in there.

Over the christmas holidays I visited a friend in Hong Kong and found so many new gourmet delis and kitchen ware stores in the former colony. They have european and american brands of cookware; there's a focus on design and functionality, and the occasional kitsch. But here, we are still making do with taiwanese and chinese aluminum pots for the most part, or Tefal, lots and lots of Tefal.

A can opener! My kingdom for a can opener!

7 comments:

Watergirl said...

I think it was a Sylvester and Tweety episode. He even loaded the can with ACME bombs to open it!

ChichaJo said...

Gimme the can opener! Gimme, gimme, gimme the can opener!

Watergirl said...

Lol! Wasn't it a mouse who kept the ultimate item from him? Ah, great cartoon. So Sisyphean.

christine said...

Yes, "canned feud"! it was a mouse. He would torture him with it, using it as bait and as soon as Sylvester was close enough, he'd throw the tool into the mousehole. heehee I loved it!

But it always left me scratching my head in wonder, as to why or how the owners of the house could leave on vacation without putting food out for their cat.

Watergirl said...

Lol, yeah, poor sylvester. Tortured by Tweety (although I used to wonder why Syl couldn't just go outside to find a bird that wasn't so tiny, bobble head though Tweety was, and caged), and the butt of dog's (that bulldog I think it was) anger. Sylvester and Wily Coyote. Both examples of people desiring things they can't get. Oh, the philosophical discussions underlying cartoons!

P said...

this will sound like something from the home tv shopping network, but here goes. rustans fresh has a kick-ass can opener. the kind that gets the entire lid off, leaving no nasty sharp edes on the can. it also allows you to tilt the can (to drain) while it clutches the can like a vise. and when the entire lid is off, you just release the hold let go in the trash. brand, touchstone classics OPEN-UP. comes in black or white. takes a little getting used to, but when you get the hang of it, it's brilliant! it's el cheapo, too. Don't remember the exact figure (below 200) but i remember being pleasantly surprised abou the low price.

Watergirl said...

Thanks P! I'll check it out. Strangely enough I was at Greenbelt's Rustan's supermarket when I was searching for the can opener, but they've either eliminated all the kitchen tools or figured that no one in that area needs to open cans. I did sort of splurge on a softgrip Kitchenmaid can opener last week, a mid-range priced one, but I think that if I find the one you mentioned I should get it too.

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies