Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Limey

This week is turning into a botanical lesson, I've just learned of two varieties of limes that I had never heard of before.
The first is the finger lime, a elongated citrus fruit that grows in Australia, the fruit looks more like a tiny zucchini, and the pulp looks like caviar! They have grown fingerlimes in different colors, from eggplant purple to red to green, and the pebbly looking pulp also comes in a variety of colors, some of the combinations look like a Shanghai Tang mao jacket.
Today, I came across this article about the Rangpur lime, a variety grown in India, with a bright orange pulp. It's supposedly a hybrid between a mandarin orange and a lime, with tart flesh, a "smoky" essence, and a lot of juice.
Since I am currently trying to preserve some of the limes friends gave me for xmas, it seems like everywhere I turn, someone's talking limes.

No comments:

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies