Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Happy accidents

Sometimes the best things in life are complete mistakes. I've had my fair share of bad baking/cooking scenarios, and lately all the breads I've been trying to bake have either fallen flat, or turned into loaves of cement. Just yesterday, a simple thing like making plain steamed rice bit me in the ass, and instead of a well cooked pot of rice, I ended up with soggy rice in the bottom and crusty, undercooked kernels above. Argh. Today, not in the mood to cook, but having to clean out my fridge, I pulled out a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough I had made on Sunday, and found the dough to be too hard to even shape. It was so hard that when I tried to poke at it with a fork, a chip flew out and bonked me in the nose. So I petulantly stuck the bowl in the microwave to warm the darn thing up. Unfortunately I put it in too long, and by the time I got it out, the chips had melted into the dough, uh oh. Would it bake? Was there any reprieve for my impatience? I put a few spoonfuls into my turbo on a round cookie pan I threw together, and hoped for the best (at 375 degrees celsius for 12 minutes). The smell of baking cookies lifted my mood, and I gulped down a glass of milk in anticipation, oh the wafting aroma of chocolate, how I heart thee.
When I lifted the pucks from the pan and let it cool a bit, I thought these are not going to win a cookie beauty contest, but they seem like they baked right. After jogging in place for a minute while they cooled, I finally grabbed a small cookie, and oh heaven. Accidents do happen, and when they do, stick them in the oven and bake for a bit. Who knows what glory will pop out to turn your mood around?

No comments:

Pike Market Peonies

Pike Market Peonies